Monday, June 15, 2009

Granny Takes Me to School

We are in New England visiting Demetri's family. We're staying with his mom, Nancy, aka Super Experienced Grandparent (Zoey is her 7th grandchild). Yesterday, I walked out on the porch to see what Zoey and her Granny were up to in the garden. My first instinct was to jump off the porch, grab my child, and yell, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!". Luckily, I had a rare episode of self-control and went back inside to do some deep breathing. and yoga. and counting.

Zoey was barefoot, her soaked socks and shoes left on the front steps. Her pants were wet and muddied up to her knees. She was stomping in rain puddles. Playing in dirt. Squishing around in the grass. And then, because she is Zoey, she ate a handful of mud and washed it down with rain water. Most notably, however, she was having the time of her life. Doing something I would have never let her do.

I realized that if I had been out in the garden, my don't's would have ruined the afternoon. Don't get wet. Don't go on the grass. Don't touch that. Don't get your clothes dirty. Don't. Don't. Don't. Instead, Zoey was out with Granny and was told Do! Try! Touch!

So after my deep breathing, I grabbed the camera and ran out to be part of the fun. Granny taught Zoey (and me) a lot yesterday. The least of which was that mud tastes kinda bad and sticks to your tongue. And the most of which was how to be a better mom.







4 comments:

  1. I all too often get caught up in the "don'ts" and have also been trying to step back and see if the things they want to do are *maybe* ok. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute cute cute cute!!! Granny is a genius because there is nothing cuter than a toddler playing in mud and rain. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing and picturing what you are doing in New England. We're going to go stomp in some puddles tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the same kind of momma as you; now I'm the same kind of grandmother as Zoey's Granny!
    What a shame that I couldn't have gotten "here" when my own kids were little. And good for you and your self restraint, self examination, and ultimately your celebration of Zoey's new discoveries!

    ReplyDelete