Sunday, July 26, 2009

A New Princess!

Dear Disney,

Congrats on the new princess movie: The Princess and the Frog! I hear the new princess is African American. Wow! You're sure taking a risk with that! Great move on having her spend most of her time as a frog! That way we don't have to, you know, look at her. You've been doing princess movies for 72 years and I'm totally with you that the world still isn't quite ready for a black princess. At least one that stays in her own skin for the duration of the movie. It's best to gradually adjust; no one likes change. And the prince? Excellent idea to make him sort of a light tan. You are so right that we don't like our movies too . . . dark. And whoever heard of a black prince or, oh, say, a president anyway?

I really enjoyed how you made the other 'ethnic' princesses (Jazmin, Mulan, and Pocahontas) look almost white. I found it very comforting and true to life. I mean, all the great female leaders are white: Sarah Palin, Hannah Montana, The Real Housewives of New York City. Don't get me wrong, the 'ethnic' princesses are good, but Cinderella is still my favorite -- blond hair, blue eyed perfection!

I appreciate the tough spot you're in. There's been so much focus lately on 'diversity' and 'inclusiveness' and 'multiculturalism'. You had to give those people something. I mean, it's not like you could hire an expert on race or ethnicity to help you be more . . .what do they say? . . . 'sensitive'. What's a multi-billion dollar company to do?

I just want you to know that my bi-racial daughter and I will be there on opening day to support you! But don't worry, she's a smart girl. She'll get the message: one day she too can grow up and be a frog. Beacuse growing up to be a biracial princess? Well, that's just crazy.

Best-
Joslyne


3 comments: