Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's Your Damage?


Zoey can now say 'boobies' and take off her own diaper. Needless to say, I am thrilled! What mother doesn't dream of her child running starkers through the house, leaving a pee trail, while chanting 'boobies!boobies!boobies!'? Ok. So that hasn't happened yet. But, I assure you, it will. Oh, it will. Every moment that passes in 'boobie!' and pee-free peace brings us a moment closer to the actual event.

And while we're on the subject of words Zoey can say, let's talk about a word she can't. That word would be 'mama'. Um . . . I spend all day every day with you. I feed you. I clothe you. I wipe your poopy butt. I make above average jokes. DO I NOT COUNT? Demetri will try and tell you that Zoey does say 'mama'. And it's true, those syllables may escape her mouth. But not in reference to me. She will point at the dog and say 'mamamama'. She'll gesture at the carton of Goldfish crackers and say 'mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'. But me? Nope. I am No Name. I am That Woman Who Sure is Around A Lot. I am The One Who Prevents All Things Fun From Occurring. Well, excuuuuuuse meeeeeeee while I point out that I am also The One Who Keeps Certain People Safe, Warm, Dry, Brushed, Fed, and Amused.

So, I ask: How is it that my child can say 'boobies' but not Mama? It's not like I run around the house yelling Boobies! all the time. I don't think I've even done it once. Whereas Mama . . . I say at least 40 times a day. I talk about myself: Mama is eating a sandwich. I make Demetri talk about me: Mama is about to lose her patience. I point to myself and say 'mama'. Plus, 'boobies' seems to be a harder word to say than 'mama'. I mean for 'mama' you really only have to be able to say 'ma' twice. 'Boobies'? 'Boob' is kind of hard because it's got the double 'b' thing going on. Zoey is not good at 'b' or 'g' sounds. And then there's the whole 'eeees' sound. A little challenging if you ask me.

What I wouldn't give to have Zoey run around naked, leave a pee trail on the carpet, and scream booooooooobeeeeeeess MAMA! like she's showing off just for me. Apparently a mama's pride has no limits.


7 comments:

  1. Ha! Boobies is nothing. My kids - for some strange reason - are always saying "Mommy, I like you boobies". What is THAT all about!! It's not like I show them to them!

    But just wait till she's TWO and says "Bajina". Out loud. At the grocery store. To the cashier. As in "I have a 'bajina'."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I made it onto you blog! That's me in the bottom right of your picture!!!! Whoo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your kids' comments are followed by MOMMY! I wonder what your kids are going to say as 'things' progress . . .

    BTW, I have big plans for you on my blog. Just you wait . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. zoey loves dogs and goldfish, correct? so maybe she is putting everything (and everybody) she loves in one category: mama. or, maybe she is just confused by her mama referring to herself in the third person all the time ;-)

    joslyne: mama is eating a sandwich.
    zoey: who is this mama to whom my mama is referring. i would like to meet this person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sure you've already heard this/ read this somewhere in your well-informed and well-educated past... but from what I understand Mama is actually a hard word for little ones to say. I've heard they often say dada or baba (brother) and then maybe next in the evolution could be mama. so she's moved onto the b's, maybe next will be the mama. Do keep us posted (im sure you will~!) Well, at least for sure we know that when she's 16 and wants to borrow your car, she's gonna have to say your name... right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe ZoZo's pet name for you is "EH!" She says stuff like that a lot. I find it hard to believe that you are anything but her absolute favorite thing on the planet. She's just trying to come up with the perfect inflection to use when she starts lovingly singing out "Mama!"

    ReplyDelete